How do we make sure the reviews are coming from real customers?
To ensure real customer reviews, our team is using a combination of algorithms, AI and manual verification.
At TrustRuby, we take reviews seriously. Our goal is to make sure that all reviews are submitted by actual human beings who have purchased a service or a product.
To achieve our goal, we have invested huge efforts in developing smart algorithms that would detect and weed out potential fake reviews.
As an additional layer of security, our Review Quality Team performs manual checks on reviews marked as possible fakes.
If we notice a pattern of attempt to abuse the system and violate the review quality guidelines, the account(s) attempting to do so, will be permanently banned.
What are some typical indicators of faking reviews?
- Sudden burst of reviews: Lots of incoming reviews in a very short period of time. Whether positive or negative, these reviews will sure be taken under the microscope for detailed examination.
- Really long positive reviews: Positive reviews with lots of compliments about the company, often using generic vocabulary.
- Reviews coming from same IP Address: Noticing attempts to submit reviews from the same reviews will fire the alarm on our side.
- Sending invitations to customers in unrelated countries: If we notice a pattern of sending out invitations to customers in countries that usually have nothing to do with the company, will surely draw our attention.
- New user accounts rapidly giving reviews: These user accounts typically give negative reviews in a very short timespan. These profiles will raise some eyebrows on our side and might be taken out of the calculation for the TrustRuby Company Score.
Of course, these are not the only situations in which our algorithms and Review Quality Team would take action, but it is a brief summary of the most common scenarios where companies or customers attempt to write fake reviews.
What happens if a company continually attempts to abuse the review system?
We would gradually escalate the preventive measures. Basically, first the flagged reviews as fake will be removed and the company will receive a notification that action has been taken from our side.
If our team finds that this is an organized attempt to submit fake reviews by, for example, creating throwaway email addresses, we will start showing a warning message to the visitors of the company page, that they have been involved in misuse activities.
The last step of escalation comes as a result of the continuous breach of the guidelines - the contract with that company will be immediately terminated and the profile will be removed. There will be a message explaining why the reviews of that company have been taken down - fraudilent activities.
This may sound harsh, but we have taken the role to maintain the review platform fair and honest for everyone. We are not affiliated nor biased towards anyone. TrustRuby simply tries to give customers a voice that can be heard and enable them to make an informed decision before buying services or products.
Can reviews on TrustRuby be actually trusted?
We are working really really hard to fight the fake customer reviews. We take action against them on daily basis. And our engineers invest many hours into imprving the algorithms, noticing patterns of bad behavior and weeding out fake ratings and reviews.
If you have noticed any fraudilient activity in the reviews, feel free to contact us.
It is safe to say that TrustRuby reviews are trustworthy.
In meanwhile we will continue to work hard on improving the system to ensure there are no fake reviews.